Flat-plate collectors heat the circulating water to a temperature considerably less than that of the boiling point of water and are best suited to applications where the demand temperature is 30-70°C.
Flat collectors can be mounted in a variety of ways, depending on the type of building, application, and size of collector. Options include mounting on a roof or free-standing.
The technology used when manufacturing flat plate collectors has evolved over the past 10 years putting them in a similar class to that of an Evacuated Glass Tube Collector, providing they have the following characteristics.
- Copper Riser Tubes are used
- Copper Header Tubes are used
- Copper Absorber Fins are used which must be ultrasonically welded to the riser tubes and not riveted or spot welded.
- Spectrum Absorber Coating must be chromed black and NOT spray painted
- Insulation Material 50mm fibreglass cotton
- Glass 4mm cover pattern tempered glass, transmission >92%- this ensure infrared rays spread across the copper riser tubes effectively
With the above materials used for the collector the optimal performance absorption will be +- 95% with an emission (re-radiation) of +- 5%.
Hi Temp offers the above flat plate solar collector which is CE approved and SABS compliant.